To celebrate Earth Day, it’s a fitting time to address why ecologically friendly and sustainable packaging can benefit your business. When it comes to manufacturing and distribution, there are many reasons why making the switch to a more sustainable packaging option is not only good for the Earth, but also for your brand.
What makes a packaging material sustainable?
The bulk of sustainability in packaging materials starts with sourcing of the materials. There are several characteristics that can help you determine if the materials you are packaging with are sustainable or not, including:
- If the material’s chemical properties are inert, which determines whether the contained product is safe to be consumed and doesn’t release toxins into the environment.
- If clean methods for production are used in the creation of the material from its raw counterparts.
- If the performance of the material has not diminished from the original non-eco material’s performance standards.
How does switching benefit your business?
Whether you care more about the economic factors or the eco-friendly advantages, there are numerous benefits in utilising eco green packaging:
- Environmentally friendly packaging can give businesses a competitive advantage on the market.
- Eco-friendly business practices demonstrate compassion and awareness, which can be a persuasive factor in helping customers choose between you and a competitor.
- Companies who invest in green packaging also stand to save money on shipping costs, material costs and reduced waste.
What other benefits can Eco-packaging offer?
- Easier to process, thus reducing labour and material costs from waste.
- Durable, reducing the chances for goods being damaged during their lifecycle.
- Lighter, which makes distribution cheaper and more efficient.
- Less expensive to move and dispose of because it’s recyclable, and in some applications, re-useable and/or compostable.
At Millbarn Packaging, we are committed to helping the environment, so whether you’re a business or consumer, our recyclable packaging is the perfect alternative to plastic packaging.